Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Trippin' 'Round the 'Sphere - 4/19/06 Edition

Since I'm soon to start a short series on politics, figured I'd give you an early look at where I stand:

Want to know your affiliation? Take the World's Smallest Political Quiz.
...

I'm also kinda quirky, but not terribly so. Perhaps that's the borderline libertarian in me?
Your Quirk Factor: 55%

You're a pretty quirky person, but you're just normal enough to hide it.
Congratulations - you've fooled other people into thinking you're just like them!

(HT: Blogotional.)
...

Review time...

I'm working through The Politically Incorrect Guide To Islam and the Crusades and so far it's an interesting read. I didn't know this much about the history of Islam/Jihad/Crusades, although I did know that the Crusades were not quite the Christian evil so popularly "understood" today. I'd concur with Challies' review and recommend the book. My rating is 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Speaking of books, I just finished The Da Vinci Code during my week of strep throat. Perhaps it was the fever, but I was mildly disappointed with the writing. I can see how, if people accept this fictional work as factual (at least insofar as history is concerned, if not the plot) that it presents an interesting theory. But the writing was pedestrian, and the "thriller" genre has been done better. That said, the book was not bad if you can get past the historical inaccuracies. I'm looking forward to renting the movie. My rating is 3 out of 5 stars.

We also took the girls to see Ice Age: The Meltdown. The girls loved seeing their first "movie in a theater" and Ice Age wasn't a bad route to go. The first Ice Age was a wonderful movie. This one slightly less so. There were some funny moments, and for kids there's not much difference between the two Ice Ages. For adults, though, the laugh quotient wasn't quite as high, and the story wasn't nearly as interesting. The animation was, as with Ice Age I, very good. Rating? 3.5 stars out of 5.
...

Ten years for Lileks? Muy congrats. I didn't even know what a blog was four years ago, and he's had something akin to one going for a decade. I think the term is "early adopter."
...

Interesting maps of religion in America. (HT: Blogotional.)
...

Stand to Reason has some interesting presentations on The Da Vinci Code, and some other Bible reliability topics. Check 'em out!

God bless!

No comments: