Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Trippin' 'Round the 'Sphere - 3/29/06 Edition

Catez posts beautifully on beauty, including a personal testimony of this interesting topic. It's a must-read.
...

Speaking of must-reads, Ed's series on the church is quite good. Unfortunately, I can say "been there" (or worse, "am there") while going through it.
...

Dr. Ronald Nash has gone on to glory. Please pray for the family of this brilliant man of God.
...

I'd like to think there's a rational reason for the government to sell off national forests and start allowing obtrusive advertising in areas heretofore verboten to raise money for schools (um...yeah, that's where the $ will go...suuuuure) but I don't see it yet. Can't we, you know, cut some non-essentials from the budget first?
...

I'm not a huge Jay Mohr fan, though I'm not antipathic towards him. And while I don't necessarily agree that we need to let our kids learn humiliation first-hand, I wholeheartedly agree that the way we try to overprotect our kids is shameful. No winners, no losers - no home runs? I hesitate to pop-psychologize (made-up phrase I'm sure) an entire generation, but methinks the boomers in control of too many things are just sore from losing in their own lives and try to remedy their childhood problems retroactively through their children. Part of being a parent is teaching our kids how the world works - and how to handle winning and losing appropriately is part of that. And we also need to be grown up enough to remember that we are not failures when our kids lose in a baseball game. Let them play, help them learn. Over-protection leads to huge problems when the kids leave the roost.
...

I've got to get me one of these. (HT: Rebecca Writes.)
...

Finally saw Walk the Line this past weekend. I can't say whether this film deserved to be an Academy nominee, not having seen many (read: 1) other 2005 movies, and certainly none of the other Best Pic honorees. But it was a pretty durn good film, which is surprising considering my lack of fascination with Johnny Cash's music. Interesting life that man led, if but half the movie is true. And Reese Witherspoon was outstanding. Here ends the...um, third movie blurb in the history of the NBB.
...

Spring is finally here! On the calendar, anyway. Plus, baseball (I'm still leading my division in the Beginner's Luck Baseball League - go Sox!) is around the corner. Which means softball/golf season is nigh upon us! So, of course we have our eldest daughter in ice skating lessons. Only in Minnesota.

God bless!

No comments: