Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Miscellany of a Tuesday

Ah, the joy of winter. Not much going on at work, and school is on hiatus until the New Year. Yet still I find much that distracts me from keeping up the M-F (with the rare S-S) blogging. So, a quick-fire discussion through the latest.
...

The MOB event at Keegan's on Saturday was an enjoyable time. Met lots of folks, some of whom had actually read this blog. Chatted with Jeff Kouba, whose work on Iraq is impressive. Also met (soon to be MOBster?) local Protest Warrior Brad Carlson, who it turns out lives but two minutes away. Also shook hands and/or chatted with Leo of Psycmeistr's Ice Palace, Ben from Hammerswing75 (who has a great roundup of the event here), Mitch from Shot In The Dark, Chief from Freedom Dogs (from whom I purchased a MOB shirt - the slogan "We know stuff" seems apt, as it remains vague), Kevin of Eckernet, Doug from Crossword Bebop, Dave of Downingworld, and Chad (the Elder) of Fraters Libertas. Unfortunately, my Mother's etiquette lessons took, so I didn't interrupt anyone chatting with James Lileks, and thus missed telling him that I've met his wife and daughter once upon a time, and found his daughter (same age as my eldest) to be as charming as he makes her out to be. Maybe next time. And yes, I'm looking forward to next time. Lots more MOBsters to meet.
...

Finally saw The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe last night. I liked it better than the other movie I reviewed on this blog (Napoleon Dynamite - which was highly disappointing) - but that goes without saying. I think I was spoiled by the fx WETA put out there for the Lord of the Rings, as the LWW fx weren't quite as good, but the story was well handled. Acting was credible, especially by the kids playing Lucy and Edmund, and the woman playing the White Witch. Not quite as good as I was hoping, but certainly better than most tripe put out by Hollywood of late. The only real complaint I have is the snow looked very, very fake. Sorry, I'm a Minnesotan, and I notice things like that, especially since there's about 6" of the stuff in my front yard. The rest of the scenery was amazing - still want to visit New Zealand someday soon. We'll give TLTWATW an eight out of, oh, say 10. I'm nothing if not bound to tradition. (In case you're wondering, Napoleon Dynamite was a 1 out of 10.)
...

This (oh, and his book God's Debris) is why I think Scott Adams needs to stick to mocking corporate America and avoid philosophy. I can't believe people actually buy philosophy based on so many misconceptions of, say, Christianity.
...

Finally, I ended up in 4th place in the blogger's football league started by Nick Queen. I'm sure I would have won if only I hadn't suffered injuries to Curtis Martin and Priest Holmes, and a suspension to Terrell Owens. Okay, I didn't really suffer per se; those guys did (as did anyone who actually tried to make sense of the nonsense Owens spouted.) After winning in the first round of the playoffs, I am now in the unenviable position of having to play league winner Bill Wallo in the semi's. And yes, this is more "stuff nobody cares about, including my wife." So, I've run out of the minutiae of the day. So...

God bless!

No comments: