Thursday, December 22, 2005

Have You Ever Felt Dumb?

Okay, I feel dumb, but God has a way of keeping us humble.

I'm perusing the death/resurrection story in Matthew 27 last night (hey, Christmas is all about Easter, right?) and I noticed something in two little verses that had completely eluded me for lo my 35 years upon this globe. I have a degree with a major in Bible. I'm a pastor's son. I've read the Easter stories in the Gospels inumerable times. So how in the world did this not sink in?
Matthew 27:52-53 (New American Standard Bible)

52The tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;

53and coming out of the tombs after His resurrection they entered the holy city and appeared to many.


So, Jesus dies and is raised, and a bunch of dead people are raised and appear to folks in the city again? You'd think this'd play a much larger part in the Easter pageants, but it's treated here as an almost "oh, and by the way, dead folks rose, but no big deal." This period between the curtain being torn and the Centurion acknowledging Jesus' identity is oft missing, yet I think it's something that I'd have talked about a bit more were I a Gospel author.

We make a big deal of Lazarus, and Jairus' daughter. What's the deal here?

Anyway, just goes to show even if you study the Bible lots God still calls certain things out anew for us. Keep reading...who knows what you'll see that 'til now has been kept hidden.

God bless!

No comments: