Monday, November 28, 2005

Happy, um, Thanksgiving + a Few Days...

I know, I know. Just because Thursday was a holiday, and Friday was the day after a holiday, and the weekend was, well, the weekend, that's no excuse for me to slack off from blogging. Fortunately, I have other excuses!

But anyway...this Thursday past was, as you know, Thanksgiving. This is one of my favorite holidays, and not just because of the food (see more, below.) This is one of my favorite holidays because of the public emphasis on gratitude. I regret that it often takes this special day to call attention to the appropriateness of gratitude, especially in a country as blessed as the U.S. Even our "down years" are the envy of many other nations. Yet we often take it for granted. I'm thankful Thanksgiving helps remedy that, if only for a day. (Oh, and don't get me started on how many people today are thankful - at least nominally - but aren't really thanking anyone in particular. Such as the One from whom all blessings flow.)

Be that as it may (in other words, sermon mode is now off - we PKs and our tendency to go on...) I am grateful for many things. Hopefully I express that gratitude frequently, but at least on this occassion I want to do so publicly.

-I'm grateful for a family that is diverse enough to include Phillipino, Polish and traditional American food in the Thanksgiving meals. (My wife's aunt, being from the Phillipines makes the most wonderful lunch spread - all sans turkey.)

-I'm grateful for a country that guarantees freedoms to speak and disagree, to worship as I please, and to be actively involved in making things better for my family and for others.

-I'm grateful for the opportunity to interact with other bloggers through this medium. And I'm grateful for all of you, who read this blog and discuss things in a spirit of fun, friendliness and civility.

-I'm grateful for friends galore, and all the blessings we share throughout the year.

-I'm grateful for softball and golf, which allow me to take out my latent aggression on white spheres.

-I'm grateful for a wife and daughters whom I love, and who love me in return.

-I'm grateful for a God who loved me so much that He gave all He had, His own Son, so that I could spend eternity with Him; who wanted me to know Him, and so left His word for me to read, and His Spirit for me to hear; who wanted me to love, and so taught me by example; who wanted me to praise Him, and so declared His magnificence in His creation. All this despite the fact that I've never done anything worthy of Him.

All thanks and praise to God from whom all blessings flow!

God bless!

No comments: