Thursday, September 01, 2005

Trippin' 'Round the 'Sphere - Katrina Edition

On Thursdays I generally post highlights I find in the "blogosphere" throughout the past few days. Today I am taking my "trip" towards the idea promoted by Hugh, and oganized by Instapundit and Truth Laid Bear. Hundreds of bloggers are discussing their recommended charities for Katrina-related donations, offering commentary and sharing ways to help those who so desperately need assistance. I'm happy to add my (blogolically speaking) small voice to this chorus.

First, the charity I'd recommend (and to which I will donate) is Samaritan's Purse. While I cannot personally vouch for all the charities listed by other bloggers, I am proud to do so for Samaritan's Purse. And please note I am NOT saying other charities are unworthy; there are many, many good charities and if SP is not your cup of tea, there are other places to give. For info on what SP is doing, please check here.
...

For a list of which charities other bloggers are recommending, and why, Truth Laid Bear has a list of bloggers participating in this exercise, as does Instapundit. According to Michelle Malkin, donations are over $45M as of yesterday evening.
...

I can't disagree with this assessment of looters. I sympathize with those who have no food or water. I have NO sympathy for those looting weapons, electronics, clothes or cars. (HT: La Shawn Barber.) More on looting via Michelle Malkin.
...

I also have no sympathy for those trying to score cheap political points when they should be offering help. The right-wing equivalent, I guess, are those who try to score cheap points regarding God's judgment on a sinful nation. Can we all please focus on helping people and stop pointing fingers? After-action reports and lessons learned need to be done AFTER the immediate needs are met. The time for this is later.
...

Rob Wilkerson uses Adrian's blog to suggest a way to help refugees of the area. If you know of other such suggestions, please send me an email at rlswork *at* yahoo *dot* com or reply to the comments section and I'll add them.
...

I'm sure that my visitors are 'net savvy enough to know where more news about Katrina is, where pictures are (truly worth 1,000s of words, those), and where to find more commentary. There are truly many people more eloquent than I covering this. Please read them and use the information you learn to inform your prayers. When all else fails, and you're not sure how to pray, remember the words that comfort me often:
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express - Romans 8:26.

Prayer is the most important thing to offer those who are hurting, though direct material aid is needed (and in fact an answer to someone's prayer!) Please give, but please don't forget to pray.

God bless!

(Technorati tags - , )

No comments: