Thursday, August 11, 2005

Marriage: Series Checkpoint

Interesting. I moved through the last purposes of marriage as planned, then realized I had not thought about what comes next. That's the risk of blogging sans a syllabus or agenda.

So...brainstorming "out blog" here, there are definitely some questions left unanswered by this series. First, although we have an idea of why marriage exists, we haven't discussed what it is. That seems a silly thing, almost, but nowadays defining marriage is a controversial activity. Ergo, I'll start on that next Monday.

Second, we haven't discussed what marriage isn't. Again, seems like a silly thing: if we know what marriage is, we by default know that everything else belongs to the set "not marriage." However, there are some cultural ties we put on marriage that aren't necessarily...well, let's put it this way. If I were to posit that marriage is not about falling in love and romance, I'd probably get some agreement and quite a bit of flack. That's the kind of thing we'll talk about after item #1.

Finally, we haven't talked about some marriage myths, which goes along with the last point. That will be the topic with which I close the series, hopefully at the end of next week. However: I rather like this topic, and as I near anniversary #12 (Oct. 16 - mark your calendars now) I'm more intrigued about discussing it. Soooo...if you have any questions you'd like me to answer (well, in theory someone could be interested in my thoughts on something) post them in the comments section and it just may be that I extend the series.

In the meantime, I'll be taking a one day break in the series tomorrow to post for Adrian's Galatians challenge. And now I'm going to pop some corn and watch the rest of Pirates of the Caribbean with my wife. Her team just won their softball doubleheader tonight, and she's all about chillin'.

God bless!

No comments: