Monday, June 13, 2005

A Green Bible - For Real

As I mentioned Friday, I am going to start a new series on Biblical view of the environment. With this sad news I think I'll dedicate the series to my favorite environmentalist left, Alice - aka Not Crunchy. And no, it's not just because she gave me an award for open-mindedness, which I take as a compliment - especially when given by someone with whom I don't always agree.

No, I have a soft spot for the environment and the earth for two reasons. First, of course, I live in it. What happens in the natural world affects me. Second, my wife is a naturalist and biology educator, and I learned much during those times in college where I helped her memorize the latin names of fish during her icthyology course. I need to put that to use somewhere (no latin - don't worry.)

But why, aside from purely self-serving or preferential reasons should we care about the earth? Yes, we should care about the natural world because we live in it and shouldn't desire to destroy our habitat. And there's nothing wrong with prefering, say, forests to cities, or mountains and seas to trains and boats.

The primary Biblical reason to care about the earth is that God Himself does. He cared enough about it to carefully measure it out during creation. God cares enough to continue to manage it and to care for animals. God made the earth, and cares for it. That should be reason enough for us to do the same.

I think this is a good starting point, and so far I'm probably in safe territory. I think most people believe we should care about the earth, even those who don't cotton to the notion of God. But there's more. What is our role in regards to creation, and what is God's? If we should care about the environment, how should we apply that to our lives? Where does our concern for the environment manifest itself in our priorities and lives? What can we learn from nature? It is to these questions that I'll be turning as I move through this series.
...

As always, I'm glad to hear your thoughts - especially from my fellow believers who may think I'm (a) missing something that should be included, or (b) getting something wrong.

God bless!

No comments: