Thursday, April 14, 2005

Poetry to my Wife

Okay, I'm taking a (short) break from my series on the Ephesians 5:25 Husband - how we're to love our wives as Christ loved the church. I'd like to leave you with this, though, which also serves as an entry to this poetry carnival. This is the first poem I wrote to my wife, and it relates to the Ephesians 5:25 series as it speaks of how I choose to love my wife. It isn't about feelings, it's about actively choosing to seek her benefit regardless of my feelings. Love is a choice; it's not something into, or out of, which you fall.

Without further ado...(Please forgive formatting issues w/Blogger template, and my hack approach to the art form)

I do not Choose to Love thee


I do not choose to love thee because you are beautiful,

Although a thousand fields of a thousand flowers are vile in comparison.

I do not choose to love thee because of your smile,

Although a thousand galaxies with a thousand suns could ne'er shine so bright.

I do not choose to love thee because you are passionate,

Although a thousand lovers in a thousand lifetimes could never move me as much.

I do not choose to love thee because you are faithful,

Although a thousand churches of a thousand saints would ne'er be less tempted to stray.

I do not choose to love thee because you love me,

Although a thousand worlds of a thousand seekers could never find a love more desirous.

I do not choose to love thee because of your intellect,

Although a thousand philosophers reading a thousand books could ne'er teach me so much.

I do not choose to love thee because of who you are,

Although a thousand Ruths and a thousand Esthers could ne'er have your spirit.

I choose to love thee because of all these things,

I choose to love thee because the sum of your parts is greater than the whole,

I choose to love thee because you make me laugh, and think, and cry,

I choose to love thee because you surpass the wonder of nature itself,

I choose to love thee because your presence makes me soar,

I choose to love thee because you are God's daughter, made for Him, yet lent to me,

I choose to love thee because.


Copyright Ron Stewart, 2001

No comments: