Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The Ephesians 5:25 Husband

Kristen recently posted a couple of items (here and here) dealing with the submission of wives to their husbands. She left it up to us guys to "admonish each other" about the "love your wife" part of the formula, and since I'm a glutton for punishment I thought I might take that on.

This is also a timely question, as the recent controversy over Terri Schiavo raises vital questions, I believe, about how a husband is to love his wife. Namely, what does it mean for a man to love his wife, through thick and thin, in a way that lives up to the wedding vows ("in sickness and in health, for better or for worse, forsaking all others, until death do us part")? Do we need to take those vows more seriously? What is the nature of this "love" we are supposed to have for our spouses? These are some of the questions I've been thinking about lately, and not because I am seeking answers; I think the Bible is pretty clear on how this is supposed to look. Rather, I've been thinking about these things because there seem to be so many men who are completely missing the boat in this area.

This also means I'm kicking off another series. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson, but the whole "glutton for punishment" thing comes back into play. This topic is going to take multiple posts to work through. I'm sure some readers (like the emailer who expressed interest in my view of this topic) will wonder whether I'm going to take the misogynist approach, the feminist approach, or some hybrid. I hope I'm going to be taking a Biblical approach, which is far from misogynistic, yet doesn't quite match the current philosophy of liberal feminism either.

In the meantime, here are some articles that touch on some of the things I'll be posting:

Excerpt from "Your Wife is Not Your Mama" by Wellington Boone.
Christianity Today article touching on domestic violence issues
Some thoughts from Ladies Against Feminism.

God bless!

3 comments:

Samantha said...

Hi, there. I just found your blog via Not Crunchy...she's not a Christian, but likes your blog a lot, and I can see why. I have a crawly baby climbing all over me so I can't visit long now, but I would like to come back and read more carefully!

R. Stewart said...

Thanks, and glad you like it (so far.) I can empathize w/the crawly baby thing, though my "baby" is almost three now. She doesn't allow for much else to get done when she's in a mood to demand my attention.

Blessings!

Kristen said...

YAY! :) I can't wait to read your series. Praise God.