Tuesday, April 19, 2005

The Ephesians 5:25 Husband - I Sum Up

Throughout this series I've attempted to look at what it means for husbands to love their wives as commanded in Ephesians 5:25, and other passages. I started out talking about what interested me about the topic. I then dove into a short survey off applicable scripture, followed by an exploration of agape love.

From here I branched off to look at specific examples from Jesus' ministry relating to this topic. The series then moved to a compare/contrast of the passages in question, a post on what agape love "ain't", and an ever-controversial (brief) look at submission.

That's more posts than I think I intended to give this topic, but that's okay. At least for me, if not for you dear reader:) Before I leave the topic, though, I'd like to make a couple more brief points.

First, the Bible sets a very high standard. I fail to reach it often enough. Fortunately, my wife is very gracious in forgiving me at those times. Regardless of how hard it is to live up to this standard, though, we husbands need to strive towards it constantly. There is no justification for giving up.

Second, loving our wives as Christ loves the church is not something which we need to "feel" in order to do. In fact, agape love demands the treatment described in I Cor. 13 regardless of how we feel.

Finally, loving our wives this way is in no way dependent upon how our wives act towards us. For richer or poorer, for better or worse, in sickness and in health until death do you part, you have a responsibility to love your wife. If she's loving you in return, this is easy. If she's not...if she's mean, or bitter, or impatient, or unfaithful, or difficult...loving her can be hard. But we have no excuse to stop.

Love your wife as Christ loves the church. There are no excuses not to, and there is no reason to use a lack of "loving feelings" as permission to bail. Christ loves the church, and gave Himself up for it. Christ also loves your wife, and gave up Himself up so that she may have the opportunity to grasp grace by her faith. Someone that precious to God deserves your best love.

May God bless all the husbands striving to love their wives this way!

No comments: