Monday, February 14, 2005

Obligatory Ode

I have a confession to make. I don't really care for Valentine's Day. I realize most people do not see this as "the only day in the year you love someone" but frankly, the idea that we should celebrate love more on one day of the year than the other doesn't appeal to me much. Fortunately, I married someone of like mind on this topic, so we don't have any friction when I don't bring home some gaudy baubble, or take her to an overcrowded/expensive restaraunt.

However, we do make a nod to the social traditions, and I do like to bring my wife flowers on Valentine's Day. I've also bought flowers for my daughters, just to make sure that any boy they consider has a bar set as high as possible. (I'd like to disqualify as many boys as possible 'ere that day comes.) I tell them all how much I love them, and we usually have a nicer than usual dinner.

Once Valentine's Day is past, I look to continue to show love and affection for my family throughout the year. I surprise my wife with poetry and/or flowers at odd times of the year. I play with the girls, and make up stories for them at night. Above all, I show them love by praying with them and teaching them of God. Admittedly, I'm not as good at this as I should be. And there are many times I'm not feeling too loving. Thanks to God that I can rise above that, with His help, and hopefully demonstrate His love when my own fails.

So, while Valentine's Day isn't a huge deal in our home, and while I strive (paradoxically) to make more mini-Valentine's Days throughout the year, I would still like to honor my wife here today. She's a wonder and a joy. I am deeply in love with her, and humbled by her love in return. Thank you dear one, for all you are and do. The only gift God ever gave me that is finer than your companionship is His only Son.
...

XBIP has another symposium, this time dealing with questions of tolerance and Pooh. Interesting combination. Check it out and submit your thoughts.

Vox Apologia V is up at Wittenberg Gate. I'll be reading these over the next day or so.

More notes tomorrow...now I'm heading off to rest and recuperate from a mildly annoying virus. Nothing to complain about, and I'd rather it not become something that reaches that level.

God Bless!

No comments: