Friday, January 07, 2005

Thinkin' Around

As I said yesterday, I'm fond of essays. I also like to debate. I hope this blog allows me to enjoy both interests in a civil manner. Of course, this is a two way street, so as soon as I say something controversial enough to start a debate of sorts, I hope the participants can remain civil. If I'm not, feel free to slap me down about it (with a modicum of civility, of course.)

But back to essays and debates. There is a contest put on by the good folk of New York Mills, MN each year. The contest, named the Great American Think-Off (GATO) poses a question with two sides. Essays are submitted, and finalists are chosen from all entrants to appear in New York Mills for a final debate on the topic. I am a fan of the contest, and look forward to entering again. This year's question, though, is a tough one since I'm not entirely sure where I stand on the spectrum of possible answers. The GATO question for this year is "Competition or Cooperation: Which benefits society more?" Fascinating. But I think mistakenly posed as a false dilemma of sorts. It is possible in this case to find a middle ground where neither is more beneficial than the other when mixed properly. I'll have to give this one some thought before I start an essay. It's not a question I've thought of before, but it looks like a challenging one to contemplate.

For more on the GATO, check out their Web site.

Speaking of essay contests, another one is at Evangelical Outpost. This one asks for a blog posting in response to this article by David Gelernter of Commentary Magazine. The Evangelical Outpost summary of the article/contest looks intriguing, and I'm guessing my next post will be an entry to the contest.

And no, this blog is not going to become a central point for essay contest notifications...but if you have one you'd think I'll find interesting, let me know (email at the bottom of the page or via comments.)

Until next time, God bless!

No comments: